jueves, 1 de enero de 2009

A Tribute to my Godfather

my Papa has passed away. he was my favourite uncle, my foster dad during my childhood, and my stand-in dad who was always there when my own dad could not. as a child, i knew what time i cd expect him to knock off work and return home. i'd hear his whistle, which means i'd have to open the door for him.
he was always smiling, gentle and never rose his voice. then when i was in brisbane, i got news that he'd suffered a massive stroke that left him half-paralysed and bedridden. i cd not be there but i cried in bed for a week, lamenting the ill fortunes that befell on my loved ones.
when i returned, he was no longer the active uncle i knew whom could be count on for a free car lift. then, he was totally dependant on us. and i felt it was only right, considering the million of favours he's done for us. for years, i'd sense a nag to pray for him, to lay hand on the part of his body that couldn't move anymore. but i didn't. i was too much of a coward. too afraid to be told off and even facing his rejection.
as helpless as he was, he still had on his smile and his dignity. he didn't need your company if you felt awkward around him, so i escaped all the time. but tonight, at the start of the new year, he passed on. a massive heart attack had claimed him too soon. once again, i hadn't been able to be there due to my pregnancy. again, i got away.
the last few times i saw him, i remember feeling a profound sense of sadness. i told joa, we had to pray for him together. still we didn't. i regret all those times i hadn't been there. he was always there but i wasn't. he always extended a helping hand. yet i didn't extend even a bit of God's grace. i only even had one picture of him at my wedding!
forever, i will remember the adorable way he smiled, the friendly way he chuckled, his boisterous whistling and the gentle father he'd been to me.
Papa,
thank you for being a blessing in my life.
i will remember you always and tell my children
what a helpful, generous person
you've been.

No hay comentarios: