domingo, 3 de mayo de 2009

Week One


It's been a big week - and a very different one too. Caring for Lil' J was hard work. Trying to decipher his cries was quite another. Struggling to strike a balance and requesting for understanding from well-meaning relatives about my confinement practice was a huge hurdle. Then there was the baby blues which ranged from the common urge to cry irregardless and the extreme end of the pendulum where my mind was flooded with pictures of the baby dead and cold.

Nine days since the night I went into labour and Joa and I had not had an uninterrupted night of sleep. Getting up in the middle of the night to nurse for hours is painful. But I do consider myself lucky to have Joa by my side. He hasn't complained and would always take the initiative to change the wet nappies, or cradle the baby just so I could sneak in cat naps.

Many people has asked me about my labour experience. It hurt like hell but mine was short (3+ hours) and I bore the pain without the epidural. My advice to everyone: get a good gynae, and don't think about the epidural. I did love the gas though. It made me so high that in between contractions, I'd drift into dreamland, forgetting that I was in labour.

Then Lil' J was born. In the midst of my drowsiness, I heard his faint squalling. When they put him on my chest, it didn't immediately register in me that this was my child. 24 hours later, I found myself sleepless in the night so I snuck out to the nursery to take a peek at him. How adorable he was. I felt like a happy mummy.

A lot of people came by to visit with nice hampers and congratulations. My stay at the hospital was enjoyable although not very comfortable. Too noisy and the bed felt too warm.

Then I came home and Mum began fussing about traditional confinement practices, mostly restricting my diet. But thank God i still got to shower - thrice a day; and shampoo - everyday. Relatives came by and warned me about drinking water and not indulging in herbs and tonics (Doctor's orders which they told me not to eat into it). It's funny how they disregard professional advice but take to old wives' tales from old China.

Lil' J is a contented baby for now. I try to nurse him as much as he likes and he's pooping and peeing to his heart's content.

I'm feeling a lot better now although I'm still bored as hell. There doesn't seem to be a routine or anything to look forward to in the day. The baby is one. But it's depressing knowing your movements and eating desires are restricted. Overall, I'm okay, for now.

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

I think he is beginning to resemble Joa...
~Miss K

Jasmine Lee dijo...

can include a pic of him with his eyes open?